Recently i noticed a failure with the APRS settings from my Kenwood TM-D710e.
Error messages were shown on the display from the transceiver and for some reason all settings from APRS where corrupt.
After a search i found that an EEPROM from the TM-D710e was broken (IC2 in the control unit). This EEPROM can be replaced by 25LC256T-I/SN .
If you can solder it is quit easy to replace the EEPROM.
Steps to follow:
- Order the EEPROM 25LC256T-I/SN . I ordered my at DigiKey because this was the only one that had this type in stock the time i ordered mine.
- Open the control unit from the Kenwood TM-D710e by removing the two screws on the back.
- Locate EEPROM (IC2).
- Remove EEPROM IC2. This can be done with a normal solder iron and solder wick.
- Clean the contacts on the PCB and put the new EEPROM in place.
- Close the control unit and tighten.
- Connect the control unit to the main unit and turn the TM-D710e ON.
- Perform a full reset of the transceiver and that’s all. The transceiver should work back as normal.